[Pd] Scrub tool?

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 08:46:58 CEST 2006

This is just a thought I had while writing with my sequencer.  In most
commercial sequencing and notation programs, there is a scrub tool,
for moving the cursor manually across the notes and hearing them play.
 It seems at first thought that it would be impossible with a score
made from scalars, but maybe it would be possible to convert the
score, whenever the scrub tool is selected, into a qlist format or
something, and the mouse output would reference that?

I can't see converting to an array working, since placement and
duration of the notes is what determines whether they are currently
sounding.  Maybe if the array elements had x and y floats, and perhaps
x referenced start time and y referenced duration.  Or two arrays,
where one would just have ticks for every 8th of a beat, and convert
that to check another array containing every combination of notes.
The first array would just say at what point to move to the next
element of the second.
First it could go through the score at every 60th of a beat checking
what notes are active, with a [change] object to add a new element
with every change and mark its position...

Possible?
-Chuckk

--
"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."