[PD] Help with "pack" / lists

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Apr 16 11:11:11 CEST 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 3:45 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com hat gesagt: //
> cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com wrote:
>
>> 1. Why isn't [quarter( a symbol??? According to the manual it is,
>> and I
>> quote: 'Anything that is not a valid number os considered a
>> symbol...Non-valid numbers which are read as symbols include
>> things like
>> "+5" and "0..6" as well as words and names such as "Zack" or
>> "cat". The
>> symbols "gore", "Gore", and "GORE" are all distinct.'
>
> This is the part of the manual that is talking about object boxes.
> Messages are slightly different, so you should read "2.3.1 anatomy of
> a message" to learn more about symbol-messages. Or try
> http://puredata.org/dev/PdMessages for my try at explaining lists,
> symbols etc. Some more related docs are here:
> http://puredata.org/dev/PdDefinitions/

That reminds me.  At the bottom of PdDefinitions, there are Frank's
and my stabs and writing clear definitions of all this stuff.
Ideally, a third party should review all that and make a stab at
unifying Frank's and mine into a final document.  I'm a stickler for
details with this stuff, but I know my writing style can be too
technical.  So more input would be good.

Any volunteers?

.hc