[PD] Cubemixer with hdsp and 8 lodspeakers?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 17 13:03:40 CEST 2006

hi rodrigo

afaik, the number of speakers for an ambisonic installation doesn't matter,
since you first compute an ambisonic sound in the B-Format, which has always
4 channels, iirc. once you have the b-format computed, you can use it for
several configurations of loudspeakers, but you'll have to measure the
position of each loudspeaker and then compute the signal for each speaker
accordingly.

i don't know the cubemixer of iem, but the website
(http://iem.at/projekte/acoustic/awt/abcde/project_view) says:

"Dabei wird nach dem ambisonic-Prinzip eine mehrkanalige
lautsprecherunabhängige Repräsentation eines periphonen Schallfeldes
generiert (Encodierung), und diese anschließend über ein bestimmtes
Lautsprechersetting (Hemisphere) wiedergegeben (Decodierung)."

for me it sounds that you can use the cubemixer to compute ambisoncics
b-format (encoding). so you could do the decoding afterwards for your
special configuration, which has 8 instead of 16 speakers.

have a look also at:
http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/ambis2.htm
which tries to explain the math of ambisonics

afaik, the ICST in zurich sometimes gives lessons for an introduction into
ambisonics. that might be interesting for you....

roman