[PD] fiddle~ window size and Pd latency question

patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Mon Apr 17 14:48:55 CEST 2006

Hello,
   with a 8192 samples for analysing audio in 48000hz you should get  170ms latency, unless I've forgotten something in the equation.
   With increasing the amount of the window size in [fiddle] you  will be able to detect lower notes, for exemple with 2048 samples the  lower note detected is a A3 flat ( 207.65hz), your latency will be  about ~42ms + audiobuffers.
   I've found some mathematical references, you might be interested:

  http://aubio.piem.org/articles/brossier04realtimesegmentation.pdf

   With a linux box the audio buffers can be reduced to ridiculous amount
  in comparission with what you can get with windows, following what  driver you are using (OSS or ALSA) before the sound glitches. For some  reason I ignore, the driver that still work under an amount of  audiobuffers of 5ms is OSS.

Julian Villegas <julovi at yahoo.com> a écrit :Tks  for your answer, I know I can have lower latencies with Linux, and Mac  Os, (Probably in that order too)... but in fact I have a satisfactory  low latency in my patch in XP... maybe I didn't explain correctly my  problem (or you didn't read well), but what I'm trying to know (and  it's independent from the OS) is what delay I'm having by using a 8192  samples window in fiddle~ (85 ms), or the delay value specified in the  audio properties (8 ms), since none of those seems to be the actual one.

 Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel. Cliquez ici.