[PD] mathematician types (was: Big distortion ?)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Apr 18 02:34:11 CEST 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Charles Henry wrote:

> Is there a spectral theory of waveshapers?  Generally speaking,
> distortion produces different harmonics of signals.... Another way of
> generating harmonics is to use convolution in the fourier domain... for
> example, the nonlinear transfer function y=x^3 can be represented in the
> fourier domain: FT(y)= FT(x) convolved with FT(x) convolved with FT(x)

There is a spectral theory of waveshapers, but you never hear about it
because it's just the spectral theory of convolution read backwards. Try
turning your book upside down...

> and curiously....we can compute and convolve fractional powers of the FT...

Yeah, I tried fractional convolutions last week. I tried applying this
effect on video, and it gives some *really* cool results if tuned
appropriately. With Pd of course.

btw there's also a thing called fractional fourier transform, but that's a
different beast, it's double extra weird. It maps the time domain to the
cos(a)*time+sin(a)*frequency domain for a value "a" of your choice.
unfortunately I have no clue what that means and I think it only works on
paper.