[PD] reading and handling of multichannel data request

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Apr 18 11:14:53 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> [matrix~] (from zexy<2.0) will get a vector of output-signals O^ from a
> vector of input signals I^ via the following equation: O^'=I^'*A this is
> a bit weird since in the scientific community this equation is usually
> denoted as: O^=B*I^ (both equations are the same if B==A') however it
> does makes some sense (at least: it did for me :-)) in terms of the
> pd-patch (creation arguments of [matrix~] and how you connect cords to
> the inputs of the object) anyhow: [matrix~] is deprecated, don't use it!
> use [mtx_*~] instead, which follows the scientific convention...

Science and math are full of contradictory conventions. You prolly have
encountered little-endian polynomials by now, as well as big-endian
polynomials. Matrix rows are top-to-bottom, but plane geometry is
bottom-to-top. Modular arithmetic usually starts at 0, but matrix indices
start at one. Row numbers come before column numbers if you're dealing
with matrices, but we write points as (x,y).

I've known profs that bitched at each other because one wanted to write
y=Ax and the other wanted to write y=xA'.

The result is that I don't care. All I want is a system that is internally
consistent so that I don't have to look up the manual to figure out the
order of things.

Btw, in [matrix~], where's the inlet for modifying the matrix's values? is
it leftmost or rightmost? what is it with [mtx_*~] ?

> it had non-standard behaviour and there was NO help-patch at all....)

When there's no standard it's normal to be non-standard.