[PD] Cubemixer with hdsp and 8 lodspeakers?

rodrigo at anorg.net rodrigo at anorg.net
Tue Apr 18 21:24:44 CEST 2006

hello again,

I'm trying to set up the CUBEmixer now, but there's a problem with the
first-order-ambisonics setting. I cannot set the value to 1 (it seems to
be the last argument of the "The_MIXER~" abstraction). There is no
abstraction with the name "1_ambi_enc~". Is this a problem?
I also cannot find the equivalent to the angles.mtx file. There is a
compensation.txt file. This is, I think, the equivalent to the
calibrate.mtx file in the abcdefg. I' a right?
There is an "sr_list.txt" file, but it is empty.

One more problem. There are a number of errors in the DSP patch:

error: Bad arguments for message 'plugin~' to object 'objectmaker'
 plugin~ $0 COMPANDER $1 $2
... couldn't create
error: Bad arguments for message 'plugin~' to object 'objectmaker'
 plugin~ $0 DISTANCE $1 $2
... couldn't create
(a lot more of this kind) (I have plugin~ installed)

number_of_zeros_in_decoder:: 44
error: aconnect: Connection failed (Invalid argument)
(10 aconnect errors like this)
tried but couldn't sync A/D/A

Aconnect has something to do with alsa right? Alsa is doing funny things
with the hdsp (distorted signals). It works with oss, though. Is alsa
necessary (I'm using debian sid)?

About the abcdefg:
Of course I would like to use the CUBEmixer, but for the tests I'm doing
now, I can stick to the abcdefg. I need to find out what channel gets
assigned to what speaker. About the automatic patch generation of the
abcdefg: I certainly want to edit the patch. Probably I can save the
generated patches, kick all the object creators out, and start them
without the script, or make my own.

Thanks a lot for your help!

rodrigo

> hi
>
> rodrigo at anorg.net wrote:
>> I made some progress thanks. I took a look at the abcdefg 3D-Mixer from
>> IOhannes (great stuff), which was a little easier for me to understand:
>> http://puredata.info/Members/zmoelnig/abcdefg
>>
>> and it has a documentation(!):
>> http://iem.at/~zmoelnig/publications/abcde/
>>
>> I think this is much more fun than computing b-format files, because
>> evrything can be done in realtime. I still have to check out which
>> output
>> channel gets asigned to what speaker. I think this must correspond to
>> the
>> order of the angles.mtx file, where the positions of the speakers are
>> written, but I'm getting some funny sound positions. Most probably some
>> mystake of mine.
>> It was rather easy to set everything up until now. Just a few more
>> questions.
>
>> - Is the cubemixer better (dispite of the gui) than the abcdefg-3Dmixer?
>> It looks more fancy, but is there some important feature I'm missing?
>
> well the CUBEmixer is kind of "abcdefg-ng".
> i wrote abcdefg as my thesis somewhen in 2002. CUBEmixer has been
> written in 2005 by a team of "senior" (the youngest coming into the
> 30ies...) programmers.

ok.