[PD] dropouts on mac os ...

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Apr 19 17:19:28 CEST 2006

Hi Sciss,

fact of the matter is that the Aqua Tcl/Tk GUI on OSX interferes with
audio processing in an entirely unacceptable way. When I want to do
serious PD audio work, I boot Gentoo PPC Linux. Quite a bit of
optimization for video/3d has been done for the OSX version of PD,. This
was mostly for GEM, as PDP and PiDiP remain quite unoptimized. But audio
doesn't seem to be a specialty/priority for the developers right now. I
base this on comments from James Tittle and others when I brought this
issue up before. I've also gotten feedback from others on this list that
PD+Audio+OSX is on the border between crippled and useless in its
current state.

One suggestion which HC Steiner made (IIRC) is to compile PD against a
Fink or DarwinPorts X11 version of Tcl/Tk instead of the Aqua one. This
entails some makefile buggery which I haven't gotten around to yet.

Another suggestion is to make sure that the realtime priority flag is
disabled on OSX with the -nrt flag. This seems to be a workaround in
some cases, but not a solution to the problem.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl