[PD] Understanding Selectors, Atoms, Lists ...

Sciss contact at sciss.de
Wed Apr 19 18:38:51 CEST 2006

Am 19.04.2006 um 18:20 schrieb Frank Barknecht:

> Hallo,
>
> (I cc. to the list as well, I hope you don't mind.)
>
> Sciss hat gesagt: // Sciss wrote:
[...]
>> so i guess you can often omit the selector for the left inlet because
>> that's a special "accepts all" inlet, right?
>
> No, that's not dependent of the inlet number although as a convention
> most objects accept meta-messages at their first inlet. However you
> cannot just omit the selector. It really depends on the object that
> gets this message. For example "set" and "symbol set" are two very
> different messages, which you can see by creating a graphical
> symbol-object
> with Ctrl-4, and connecting a [set( and a [symbol set( message to it.
> Pressing the "set" message will not change, what you typed into the
> symbol, however "symbol set" will input "set" into the symbol-atom.

here is what i mean:

#N canvas 0 22 454 304 16;
#X obj 106 131 pack s s;
#X obj 107 168 print;
#X msg 107 48 gaga;
#X msg 180 48 gaga;
#X text 230 48 NO!;
#X text 61 47 YES!;
#X msg 224 93 symbol gaga;
#X connect 0 0 1 0;
#X connect 2 0 0 0;
#X connect 3 0 0 1;
#X connect 6 0 0 1;

pack accepts a "metasymbol" as first inlet (so i *can* omit the
selector here), but only a "symbol" as second inlet. i experience
this behaviour with many objects. no ?

ciao, -sciss-