[PD] multiio vs. arduino?

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Wed Apr 19 18:59:03 CEST 2006

hi all,

let me add a few words to that:

Am Mittwoch, 19. April 2006 18:11 schrieb Davide Morelli:

[...snip...]

> arduino is nice because:
> * it is cheap
> * it is small
> * once programmed it can work without a computer attached (for simple
> tasks)
>
> multio is nice because:
> * it is powerful
> * doesn't need to be programmed
> * it is extensible

a few days ago i had the new usb framework installed, using sdcc and puf.
that means that now the firmware of the multio is developed completely on
linux in the future.

with that, the multio will also become a stand-alone usable device. i am
thinking of a forth-like language to allow user programs running on it,
making it usable stand-alone as well. also, it soon will allow to update the
firmware via usb as well, eliminating the need for a pic programmer to do
updates.....

altough the multio is rather big, it can be packed into an aluminium enclosure
like this (the bigger one, its 103x56x168 mm in size) :
http://www1.conrad.de/xl/5000_5999/5200/5230/5232/523224_BB_00_FB.EPS.jpg
this type of enclosure is especially made to take up the euro-sized pcb format
that multio uses (160x100 mm)

also you can decide what functions you want to have on the multio, reducing
the overall cost of the unit. for example, if you only want adc and button
inputs .... of course its always possible to upgrade it later.

oh, and whenever you need something special to connect to the multio, like a
driver stage to control 64 relays/lamps/motors for example, i will do it for
you. just say what you need. also "included" in the multio is free service
service and repair. in case of a repair, you only need to pay the postages,
thats all. in case of service, you can find me on #dataflow for that almost
every day (or night, depending on your timezone ;)

greets,

chris