[PD] hide/show controls at runtime

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 20 00:31:18 CEST 2006

I like the idea of morphing, here's a quick test of the idea:

I wonder if we could include such functionality in a library of GUI
objects which can dynamically hide and reshape themselves...

.hc

On Apr 18, 2006, at 2:50 AM, alexandre matheson wrote:

> On closer inspection is isn't that difficult at all to store the
> previous states. See updated patch.
> <guithing.pd>
>
> On 17-Apr-06, at 8:42 PM, alexandre matheson wrote:

>>> Send messages to resize your GUI objects to/from 0 width or 0
>>> height. They effectively "don't exist" if they are zero pixels
>>> high or wide (although they still use some CPU resources). You
>>> could even do it with [line], so that they seem to fade out or
>>> drop down.
>>
>> I tried this and it refused to resize below 2 by 8 on a hslider
>> which is too bad cause using line to make it morph is a really
>> cool idea.
>>
>> Maybe you could reuse the same gui objects for different
>> parameters by changing the send (see attached patch). The big
>> problem with this is storing the settings and having them recalled
>> when you move from one parameter to another.
>> <guithing.pd>
>>

>>> d.
>>>
>>> --
>>> derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
>>> ---Oblique Strategy # 14:
>>> "Ask people to work against their better judgement"

>> regards,
>> Alexandre Matheson
>> amatheso at alcor.concordia.ca
>> iChat: ealx at mac.com

> regards,
> Alexandre Matheson
> amatheso at alcor.concordia.ca
> iChat: ealx at mac.com

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies."
                                                     - Amy Smith