[PD] Understanding Selectors, Atoms, Lists ...

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Apr 20 20:31:19 CEST 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I think that "data messages" and "control messages" are a possibility...
> meta messages just sounds to vague to me.

I first thought "great idea", they sounded like excellent names, but then
I thought, I usually say "data" to mean both "messages" and other things,
and I usually say "control" to talk about execution order and where's the
currently active object(s) and such. As in "control flow" vs "data flow".
Pd's patches are first and foremost data flow diagrams, but they imply
control flow in it. A patch is a hierarchical version of the classic
"control flow diagrams" but where the arrow means a function call instead
of a GOTO. The original "control flow diagrams" have largely fell out of
fashion but they've come back under a new name and new notation, namely,
"Finite State Machine".