[PD] PDDP meeting?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 21 10:36:39 CEST 2006

I looked thru that manual, I made me realize one thing: install
manuals should not be Pd patches ;).  There is definitely useful
stuff there, It would be nice to have on http://puredata.org/docs so
that we have one centralized location for the docs.

.hc

On Apr 19, 2006, at 5:07 PM, derek holzer wrote:

> Hey HC and the gang,
>
> Adam Hyde has been working on a PDF/HTML manual for getting PD up
> and running. I've talked with him a bit about how beneficial such a
> thing is versus a set of patches like the ones which have been
> contributed here. But you might want to have a look at it:
>
> http://www.flossmanuals.net/edit
>
> I may be meeting with him soon about where it could go, and I'm
> sure he's open for other suggestions as well.
>
> Mark Polishook wrote:
>
>> Two comments: 1. the patches are very good at identifying core
>> concepts and explaining them. 2. But the hard thing about tutorial
>> writing is it's difficult to show how those small concepts relate
>> to larger artistic concerns.
>
> I agree on both fronts. The main issue with PD is that people use
> it for so many different things that demonstrating "artistic
> concerns" would be pretty limited to what the author happens to be
> doing with PD. All the same, I do find that there is a serious lack
> of "demo" patches, or something like a "user library" that noobs
> could have a look at for inspiration. Simple and not so simple but
> usable tools, along the same lines as the User Library in Reaktor,
> or maybe even the Pluggo patches from Cycling74 (except you can't
> open those up, can you???). I tried to make something like that
> with ParticleChamber, and I know that other stuff has come up on
> the list when people ask about synth collections and the like.
> Might be good to try to collect these kinds of abstractions
> together into a library of sorts (a la RRRAD).
>
> best,
> derek
>
> --
> derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
> ---Oblique Strategy # 76:
> "Give the game away"

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
						        				-A.J. Muste