[PD] PDP and quicktime pdp_qt

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Apr 21 21:53:38 CEST 2006

On Apr 21, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Dave Leith wrote:

> As for sorenson codec it still remains unrecognized along with the
> rest.
>
> On the Mac using the installer there is no /sw folder created
> (show invisible files). Using the installer from puredata.org to
> install you just drag the Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC8 package to
> anywhere on your harddrive, (me to a PureData folder in
> Applications). Fink - which is not installed on my system would
> create a sw folder but it's not part of the OSX PD default
> installer or installation requirements.

.../sw is fink specific, and really isn't germaine here, as the whole
point of the extended builds is to include everything in a portable
manner...unfortunately, we're dealing with a libquicktime versioning
problem...

> The path using "Show Package Contents" is Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC8/
> Contents/lib/libquicktime.0.dylib.
> This is where other files libbz2.1.0.2.dylib, libmp3lame.0.dylib,
> libspeex.1.dylib, etc. reside.
>
> Do I need to do something to else to get the library to be
> recognized?....Odd that pdp_qt is not using the installed library
> (as I mentioned earlier nothing changes if the libquicktime.0.dylib
> is removed)

...ok, here's one more thing to try:  I believe you mentioned that
you had downloaded the pidip libs from yves' site, so we should be
able change that libquicktime.dylib to something you can use...if you
have the developer tools installed, you can do the following from the
directory that contains your Pd-0.38-4-extended-RC8.app:

cd Pd-0.38-4-extended-RC8.app/Contents/lib/
otool -L libquicktime.0.dylib

...at this point you should see a list of libraries that the dylib is
linked against...if you see anything beginning with "/sw", then we
need to tell it to look elsewhere, like the following:

install_name_tool -change /sw/lib/libquicktime.0.dylib
@executable_path/../../lib/libquicktime.0.dylib libquicktime.0.dylib

...you can then rerun "otool -L libquicktime.0.dylib" to confirm that
it's changed...if this works, then try running pd again, and see if
that helps:  this may not work because we don't know if the version
of gcc that these individual files were compiled and linked with is
the same...

good luck,
james