[PD] suggestion... or question

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Apr 22 12:11:30 CEST 2006

Zitat von Federico <xaero at inwind.it>:

> hello list,
> I'm wondering if there is the need of a new object in pd....

i usually deal with this problem by using send/receive instead of patch cords.
i seldomly experience problems with the order of execution when dealing
with many instances of an object (they tend to work in parallel and not
interfere with each other - at least not where execution order is a
problem).

you can interact with each object separately either via special
receive-names ("$1_my_param" where $1==1..N) or via special messages to
a "global" (could be localized with $0) receiver and the use of [route]
(msg "$1 <parm>" to "my_param" and then do a [route $1]))

both approaches have pros and cons (symbol-table pollution vs.
[route]-evaluation)

apart from that, a hierarchical approach (loads and loads of
abstractions) often helps a lot, even if you don't like hierarchies...

mfg.adsr
IOhannes