[PD] suggestion... or question

Federico xaero at inwind.it
Sat Apr 22 12:02:18 CEST 2006

zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Zitat von Federico <xaero at inwind.it>:
>
>> hello list,
>> I'm wondering if there is the need of a new object in pd....

> i usually deal with this problem by using send/receive instead of
> patch cords.
> i seldomly experience problems with the order of execution when
> dealing with many instances of an object (they tend to work in
> parallel and not interfere with each other - at least not where
> execution order is a problem).
>
> you can interact with each object separately either via special
> receive-names ("$1_my_param" where $1==1..N) or via special messages
> to a "global" (could be localized with $0) receiver and the use of
> [route] (msg "$1 <parm>" to "my_param" and then do a [route $1]))

uhm...
you mean that [apart creating gui objects, and renaming their
send/receive symbols], receiving their values it's just a
message/route/send work?!? no additional patching would be required?
(i.e. expanding number of sliders from 128 to 512 would not affect the
logic code, but only copying and pasting and renaming 512 sliders?)

however my point wasn't only this...
more generally i would say: repetition of objects, groups, or instances,
is a common pattern in pd. and there are certain ways to do it (select,
route, multiple inlets, and so on), but all of them require a lot of
patching (proportional to the number of instances you want).
why souldn't exists an object which does this for you?