[PD] Understanding Selectors, Atoms, Lists ...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Apr 23 08:50:40 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Krzysztof Czaja hat gesagt: // Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >>will output a list prepended by "list" ; if i put this list into
> >>[zl], the list-prefix is stripped.
> >
> >I consider this a bug of [zl]. With newer Pd's you should use [list]
>
> a feature not a bug!  Pd message system was designed for signal
> processing control, not for symbolic processing of any sort.

Well, "bug" may be a bit harsh of me, but I really don't see why [zl]
doesn't just keep the "list" selector? I find the behaviour of [list]
much more consistent compared to [zl]. [zl] is happily throwing away
an important selector (see attached patch), which is a behaviour I
would rather have control over myself with e.g. [list trim].

Ciao