[PD] Understanding Selectors, Atoms, Lists ...

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Apr 24 02:07:36 CEST 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > well that means that [list] can't support any methods other than
> > "anything", at the risk of causing exceptions, and that's exactly what
> > filing a bug report against [pack] would be about... or am I missing
> > anything?
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean here: [list] accepts
> meta-messages as well as float-, symbol- and bang-messages and

I mean that if [list] supports a "set" method then you can't send "set 42"
to it if you really mean "list set 42" and don't want to call the "set"
method.

> But [list] also accepts other kinds of message, for example GemLists,
> which are converted to something that prints:
> print: list gem_state (pointer) (pointer)
> and which is probably useless. Is that, what you mean by "risk of
> causing exceptions"?

No, I really meant the fact that you can't define extra configuration
methods (such as "set") in the first inlet without causing special cases.
Messageboxes already have such special cases (and I consider that fact to
be somewhat ugly).