[PD] suggestion... or question

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 25 19:48:05 CEST 2006

On Apr 23, 2006, at 1:00 AM, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> Federico wrote:
>> more generally i would say: repetition of objects, groups, or
>> instances, is a common pattern in pd. and there are certain ways
>> to do it (select, route, multiple inlets, and so on), but all of
>> them require a lot of patching (proportional to the number of
>> instances you want).
>> why souldn't exists an object which does this for you?
>
> it is possible to make crippled substitutes like nqpoly or
> rabin/clone, but it is not possible to introduce proper
> multi-abstractions without a major redesign of Pd internals.

nqpoly~ may be crippled, but nqpoly4 is actually quite good.  The
only tricky thing about it is initialization.  And you do have to
close and reopen patches sometimes to reset everything.  But once you
get things running, its quite stable.  I used nqpoly4 in my solitude
piece, there I controlled 500 instances of an object.  Right now I am
helping someone control 100 spheres in Gem using nqpoly4.

I have been meaning to write some good docs for it, plus I want to
try my hand at some minor improvements too.  Some day...

.hc