[PD] amplitude of modal synthesis

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Apr 26 19:33:17 CEST 2006

Hallo,
frablanc hat gesagt: // frablanc wrote:

> Finally, i solved the problem in a quite empiric way, but it
> seems to work ... I agree, it deserves a lot of cleaning, i
> put a lot of [bang] to be shure that the coefficients are right...
>
> I send the final abstraction, and a patch which uses it. It's
> quite fun and i think it sounds great ! ;-)

Yes, it sound really wonderful I like it a lot (so much I'll steal it,
if you don't mind ;)

Only with the execution order you still didn't get it right. it might
work now, but as soon as you do some further editing it *will* break.
Better fix it now. The [bang] objects don't help at all, let me
explain why: Every "connection fanning" in your patch still has an
undefined order. If two or more connections come out of a message
outlet, you cannot tell which one will fire first. If order is
important, and it practically *always* is, then you must use a trigger
object instead of connection fanning.

So you should generally avoid more than one connection coming out of a
single message outlet. It's trouble waiting to happen, you don't want
to marry such patches.

Attached patch shows some of the things that can go wrong with
connection fanning.

Ciao