[PD] osc objects

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 26 23:25:08 CEST 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 11:01 PM, Piotr Majdak wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Martin Peach wrote:
>> Sure...[routeOSC] is based on [OSCroute] but the routes are
>> settable after the object is created. It is also standalone in the
>> sense that you don't need to load lib OSC to use it. It's
>> basically the same code, cleaned up a bit.
>> [unpackOSC] is based on [dumpOSC], again nearly the same thing but
>> cleaned up and made independent of lib OSC.
>> For instance the messages to the user use 'post' instead of printf
>> and OSCerror or whatever it was.
>> [packOSC] is based on [sendOSC] but doesn't do the network part.
>> That can be handled by [udpsend] or [tcpsend] or possibly
>> [comport] and [midiout] with some extra massaging of the lists
>> they output. That makes the OSC objects transport independent as
>> the spec intended (but nearly every implementation is hard-wired
>> to use udp).
>
> That's a nice thing. So, as far as I understand you, [packOSC]
> outputs something (a stream of messages, one message per byte?)
> which can be sent to a communication object such as [udpsend] or
> [comport]?
>
> But, the oposite object to [packOSC], [unpackOSC] is hardcoded to
> UDP, like [sendOSC], right?

These are really great, it should make things much more flexible.

>> I used different names for all of them so as not to break existing
>> patches.
>
> That's a good idea. Thanks for watching the weird compatibility
> things :-)
>
>> I based them all on OSCx (the net objects are based on the
>> [netsend] and [netreceive] objects inside pd), I consider them to
>> be an improved version of OSCx but that's my opinion :)
>
> I see it as an improvement too :-) Would you like to add your
> objects to the externals/OSCx directory in CVS? We could keep all
> the OSC stuff at one place...

I think it might make more sense to make a separate library for these
objects.  But if they are based on libOSC, then they could be
integrated.  [OSCroute] and [routeOSC] in the same package sounds a
bit odd to me.  Perhaps [routeOSC] could be renamed to soemthing like
[set_route].

____

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have
three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their
minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits."
                                             - Martin Luther King, Jr.