[PD] Jack, netsend, realtime-mode and all the rest

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Apr 28 13:34:08 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> "Frank Barknecht" <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
>
> >however I may add, that "normal" Pd patches that
> >don't use the network-connection are running very stable and without
> >xruns.
>
> i often noticed myself, that - when using audio and network stuff - the
> network stuff is the bottleneck, especially when sending a huge amount of
> data. i use more often [netclient]/[netreceive], which have a buffer of 4kB
> iirc, than [netsend]/[netreceive], but maybe it is the same issue with
> [netsend]. as far as i can tell, audio stucks as soon as the buffer is
> full.

I did an experiment now and replaced netsend with sendOSC/dumpOSC.
They seem to perform much better. I still need to run some more tests,
but it seems I'll use OSC for the performance tomorrow and I won't use
jackd. With some fiddling I managed to get Pd to talk to the USB card
directly ("-noadc" helped a lot) and without jack, the audio-Pd runs
much smoother anyways.

Ciao