[PD] osc objects

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Apr 28 23:37:14 CEST 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Martin Peach wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > bidi connections are nice, so let's merge the send/receive parts together:
> > net/tcpsocket
> > net/udpsocket
> But we don't have midisocket, just midiin and midiout, and it's easier to
> patch that way.
> For instance I'm using OSC to talk to microcontrollers on one port but they
> reply on another. To me it makes more sense to have separate send and receive
> objects

You gotta be kidding. A lot of protocols that Pd could support require a
bidirectional connection. That is, you can't find a version of the
protocol that works by first establishing a socket one way and then
connecting back the other way. It wouldn't work in masquerading IP
situations either.

DesireData is going to have those byte-based sockets for sure. The
client-server protocol of Pd itself is bidi, and I believe a user ought to
be able to do the same! This means that i want one class for both send and
receive.

> tcpreceive accepts multiple incoming connections (maximum is set by a #define
> in the code but it could be a creation argument if needed), and updreceive
> accepts any messages sent to its port number. Both also output the ip address
> of the source of each incoming message.

But receive is reserved for servers, and servers are reserved for
receiving, while sending is reserved for clients, and clients can only
send. Why?