[PD] small bug with "coll"

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Sat Apr 29 18:00:03 CEST 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>this is very unfortunate, but using a separate symbol table for colls
>>would break compatibility, because Max does not allow to reuse coll
>>names in sends and receives.
>

> I don't understand why this is very unfortunate, and what do you mean that
> Max doesn't allow it. By "reuse" you mean use that symbol for a different
> purpose? So the compatibility issue would be because people do send
> messages to a coll using [s] with the name, as is commonly done with
> [table]s? am I getting this right?

if there is a [coll x] created already, Max will create a dummy
object instead of [s x] or [r x] (this is similar to a dashed-out
Pd object of an unknown class).  If an [s x] or [r x] was created
first, [coll x] would be dummy.  I consider it a bad design that
neither should nor could be emulated in cyclone.  Hence, there
is just a warning.

Krzysztof