[PD] Understanding Selectors, Atoms, Lists ...

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Sat Apr 29 18:10:45 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Well, "bug" may be a bit harsh of me, but I really don't see why [zl]
> doesn't just keep the "list" selector? I find the behaviour of [list]
> much more consistent compared to [zl]. [zl] is happily throwing away
> an important selector (see attached patch), which is a behaviour I
> would rather have control over myself with e.g. [list trim].

the only difference is that [list] always quotes its output unlike
[zl], which always sends ready-to-evaluate messages.  Otherwise,
both work just on vectors of atoms, and you can't tell from their
output, whether input was quoted or not.

You might argue that a [list] inserted on output costs more than
a [list trim], although I doubt Max users are really forced to
insert [prepend list] that often.

Krzysztof