[PD] PDDP meeting?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Apr 30 19:33:48 CEST 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, David Powers wrote:

> What are different ways to do GUI and control, and to seperate the GUI
> from the rest of the patch?

  .-- [model] <--.
  |              |
  v              |
[view]      [controller]
  |              ^
  |              |
  `--> [user] ---'

OR

  |                     [input]
  |                       |
  v                       v
[view] <-- [model] <-- [controller]
  |                       |
  |                       |
  v                      ...
[output]

OR

  |       [input]
  |         |
  v         v
[combined_mvc]
  |         |
  |         |
  v        ...
[output]

OR

bottom layers and previously unhandled events

[combined_mvc]

top layers and still unhandled events

But AFAIK, I suppose hardly anyone uses those patterns in pd cause those
are things I was coming up with at the end of the last PureData Montréal
meeting, when there were only two of us left... I've just started using a
combined_mvc model with combined I/O and I use it in the context of
GridFlow's [#out window]. Those concepts also apply to
[gemhead]/[gemmouse] pairs. They can also apply to other contexts.

Pd could benefit a lot from design patterns adapted from other systems. It
just needs someone who doesn't fear OOP... =)