[PD] emulating early video synths - sync

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Thu May 4 23:27:58 CEST 2006

Hi Paris, all,

I've been experimenting with audio->video in Gridflow, see attached
example patches, they're not brilliant but might give you some ideas.
[#import~] is currently a (slow!!) abstraction I made, but maybe one day
I'll learn enough C, C++, Ruby, and Gridflow internals to be able to
make it a zillion times faster...

Here's some I made earlier:  </BluePeter>

http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/index.php?page=gallery/digital/CM-v-CM

(Stills from a DVD I'm working on, from time to time, it may even get
finished one day...)  The corresponding audio is here:

http://www.archive.org/details/ClaudiusMaximus_-_Soft_Rock_EP

Working from pre-recorded audio meant I couldn't do anything easy to
"sync" the frames and stop the "rolling", but I happen to like temporal
aliasing a great deal - flickery trippiness is go!

The right inlet of an [osc~] or [phasor~] sets the phase between 0 and
1, but only once (as you have found).  Here's a bonus tip:

[mtof]

[phasor~]
  |\
  | [*~ 1.5]  <<< vary this >= 1, maybe using an envelope
  |  |
  | [wrap~]
  |  |
[dac~]