[PD] pd~conf 2.0

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun May 7 09:53:53 CEST 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2006, at 10:24 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > I don't think he was serious about that =) Ottawa, ON is too "small" for
> > such a thing, and I'm including Gatineau, QC, across the bridge. I mean
> > "small" as in not enough Pd users. Ottawa and Gatineau together might be
> > one million people, but if you try to find Pd users, you only find them at
> > Ottawa U or Artengine.
> Graz is 350,000, and it worked there.  I don't think that would be such an
> issue.  Plus there are a lot of people who live near enough Ottawa.

Reread what I said, I said "small" as in not enough Pd users. If I
can't say "Ottawa is too small" let me say "Ottawa does not have enough Pd
users".

BTW, Graz is 240,000 people, according to Wikipedia.

But those figures mean little. I have a copy of "aktuelle Kunst in Graz"
(a paper publication associated to http://www.graz03.at/). It makes Graz
look very big, possibly as big as Montréal, given the number of entries in
that booklet.

> > I think Montréal is still not ready for such an event, if it has to be a
> > reasonable sequel to PdConvention04.
> Why not.

Funding?

Actually, I know people who want to try for 2007 (or who say they want to
try...). This is a topic for the 20th PureData Montréal Users Group
meeting, which will be on May 14, just after the Holzer&Kolster PMPD
Workshop in Montréal (they are doing the same workshop in Ottawa this
weekend).

> > Right now I'd like to hear _why_ another Pd Convention should happen.
> > Well, I mean, apart from being _damn_ _fun_...
> To me, that's not really a question that needs to be asked, but I'll answer
> it.  So much can get accomplished in 10 minutes of face-to-face discussion
> that would take days on the list.

Why is the mailing-list so inefficient? What can be done to improve the
mailing-list? Are there affective issues? If so, we might need a Simple
Hug Transfer Protocol.

The reason why I ask why is so that we can answer the question of what the
programme should look like. Let's not assume that the programme has to
have the same format as the original. But to know what to put in the
programme we should know our goals for the conference (in terms of
fostering further development of the community and such), and to know our
goals we need to know why we're making a second conference... well, apart
from having a damn lot of fun, and the desire to outshine Graz or
something... ;-)

> Pd~conf 1 covered such a broad range, it took me in many directions I
> would never have gone had I not attended.

Could you please explain that experience? What were your new directions?