[PD] pd~conf 2.0

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon May 8 06:02:57 CEST 2006

On Mon, 8 May 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 03:53:53AM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > Why is the mailing-list so inefficient? What can be done to improve the
> > mailing-list? Are there affective issues? If so, we might need a Simple
> > Hug Transfer Protocol.
> Don't you find that you learn a lot at conferences? I reckon that there
> is no better search engine than asking a question of an expert, face
> to face.

If this were really the case, teleconferences would be the super craze
just about right now. But anyway: I'm not arguing that conferences are
useless, and even if people really learn a lot more at conferences, it
doesn't mean that mailing-list interaction can't be improved. So do you
have suggestions for more efficient mailing-list interactions?

How about a non-verbal markup language? (Isn't the niche that smileys were
made to fill?)

> This is simply because of the bandwidth involved. The speed at which you
> can hone your request using conversation, body language, etc, is much
> more efficient than IRC, mailing lists, or any other computer based
> communications medium that we currently use.

How do you say "Intel/AMD isn't going to abandon SSE any day now and it's
not an excuse that you can give to me" using bodylanguage in a way that my
interlocutor will understand that he can't BS me on this? Cause if
bodylanguage can't do that for me, then I don't think it's so great ;-)

And when I say "bodylanguage", I consider that grabbing someone by the
necktie is sort of cheating.