Pd social aspects (Re: [PD] PDDP meeting?)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue May 9 07:52:14 CEST 2006

On Mon, 8 May 2006, geiger wrote:

> Its a good point, and you probably have more insight into the community
> part of jMax. If I recall there have been some sort of split versions of
> jMax too.

Christian Klippel had a patchset for video signals for a while but it got
integrated in jMax 2.5.1. Later he wanted to fork from 2.5.1 while the
IRCAM was trying to code 4.0.2 and while I was trying to get him to switch
to Pd. PyMax was not a real fork, as it was both sitting in the same
branch and made by the same guys (iirc).

> I think the intel grant is not relevant nowadays.

Let's say so. But still, I've received money explicitly to code some
externals over the years, while not being part of an university. The total
amount I've received up to now is in the five digits of Euros, but I don't
expect to reach six digits before 2020 or so ;-)

> > It's only a terrible loss of energy if you think that this energy could be
> > going anywhere else and if you think that Pd is perfect as it is.
> Yes, exactly, and I think this energy could go somewhere else :)

Where do you want to transfer it to?

How do you transfer that energy?

> > > but still I think it is important to focus our efforts.
> > Whose ideas should we focus our efforts on?
> Ours ?

Be more precise. Who does "ours" include?

> I have been constantly looking for allies. I had to look for allies when
> establishing the CVS,

I wanted to say: Thanks for establishing the CVS.

(I also want to repeat: let's move out of SF)

> I had to look for allies when trying to get the patches system going.
> There was plenty of opposition against both systems, so it was not an
> easy task.

What do you mean "both systems"? I thought that there was only one?

> I am still trying to get you as an ally or to get Tim back. I sort of
> know how you feel.

I would enjoy a patch tracker that wouldn't revolve around Miller. If I
have a problem with anything you or Hans does, chances are that it's
because it revolves around Miller.

> I understand that there are several things that one might want to change
> in Pd, that can't be done. Either you accept it or well, you have to
> split. You have to decide what is better for you. This doesn't mean that
> it is better for others.

It's better for most of the others, according to most of the others, but
pd-dev isn't representative of the crowd.

> The patch submission system is not specifically good, but it is better
> than what we had before. We can improve a lot, on the CVS and the patch
> submission, but someone has to do it, make a good proposal, and get
> enough people on his/her side.

Miller doesn't work with popular vote. Voting never happens on pd-list nor
pd-dev, which are places for people who want to talk, not for people who
want to vote. Most pd users haven't written on pd-list, and I suspect that
these days most pd users *aren't* on pd-list.