[PD] osc objects

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed May 10 02:15:35 CEST 2006

On Mon, 8 May 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On May 7, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > > I think these should be more descriptive.  They don't work exactly the
> > > same as the core versions, so they should have different, but similar, names.
> > Why should namespaces exist if they don't solve name conflicts?
> Ok, to follow this logic, we should stop coming up with new names for objects.
> All libraries will use letters for object names starting at A.
> core/a
> core/b

No, this doesn't follow this logic. I'm questioning the use of namespaces
and then you pretend that I question the use of names. That's not a very
subtle strawman. If you were actually thinking about class_addmethod2,
that one used letters for the same reason that [t] accepts letters; but
that's not what you're replying to.

> > those names all contain "osc" twice. if the latter "OSC" can't be removed,
> > then why not removing the leading "osc/" ?
> Because if you do this:
> [import osc]
> [packOSC]

What if you did the following instead?

  [osc/pack]

it seems to me as being just as descriptive and plus it's shorter because
you don't have to write [import] and the name of the objectclass itself is
hardly longer.

I would need an example that involves several classes called [packOSC] so
that I can see an advantage related to nameclashes.

> A fundamental idea in programming is to name things descriptively so you
> can easily read the code.  Just because we can reuse the same names,
> doesn't mean we should.  The object name should represent what it does
> as clearly and compactly as possible.

But is a name including the package name that it's in? In one sense
yes and in one sense no. By using the slash as a separator you
suggest a filename analogy, and the word "filename" has been
traditionally used to mean both the local slashless name and
compound names (which include both relative and absolute names).