[PD] memory with native objects

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 15 13:15:10 CEST 2006

I can understand not wanting lots of dependencies, tho Pd-extended makes
its quite easy to manage lots of deps.  But it seems backwards
to me to actively avoid using libraries.  What we should be doing is
building up librarise of useful code so that we don't have to reinvent the
wheel to write a patch.  I would like to see these libraries written in
Pd.

But even if they are written in Pd, they will be "external" to your
projects.  So instead of trying to limit yourself to a small set of
objects, I think we should be looking to make a complete set of primitives
in C for things that can only be done in C, then everything else should be
built in Pd.

These objects, which are basically the same as externals, would ideally be
organized into coherent libraries so that they would be easy to use and
manage.

just my two bits.

.hc

On Wed, 10 May 2006, patco wrote:

> Hi,
>   next step in my crusader for replacing externals
>  with native objects will be about replacing memento with ssad,
>  textfile for this stuff is obviously necessary,
>  thank you, Frank,  for this great work.
>
>  I keep on saying that using a message box is more usefull
>  for fixed memory settings,
>   like in the GOP menu patch submitted before,
>  than being in need of a textfile.
>
>  Any memory used for things that doesn't need
>  to be saved under a preset, have absolutely no reason
>  to be in an external file, it's irrelevant.
>
>  If it's relevant, but I don't see how it is.
>
>  Anyone knows a trick for replacing zexy/drip, and ggee/concat with internal objects?
>

> Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> a écrit :
> I would really recommend to take a look at [sssad]: For a simple
> general purpose state saving it is much more flexible than the
> solutions above and still only uses builtin objects (with pd 0.39).
>
> if you use various [textfile]s to do the actual state management with
> sssad or if you wouldn't mind to access the harddisk with
> preset-switching it even allows storing different presets, not just a
> "snapshot" of the current state of things, which is the original
> motivation of [sssad]. I attached a little example how to do this.
>
> Here I would recommend to use a [textfile] instead of the message box.
> It's quicker than changing the message box all the time, and the
> messages to [textfile] are very similar to those you send to a message
> box.

> Yahoo! Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son interface révolutionnaire.

 	zen
 	   \
 	    \
 	     \