[Pd] Finding frame rate for video

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Mon May 15 19:17:43 CEST 2006

On 5/11/06, Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wanting to automate opening videos in GEM.  Is there any library with
> a function to check a movie header for fps?

This really varies by platform and API.  For example, Quicktime doesn't
really have the concept of a frame per second in the container format.  That
might sound odd, but it allows for frames of different lengths in the same
container and multiple frame rate tracks of media to work alongside each
other.

Right now with QT we sort of guess at the framerate because it helps to open
the movie file faster.  It is not a very accurate number though and I would
not use it for controlling playback.  The 'auto' and 'rate' messages do
allow for accurate control of playback based on any media of any framerate.