[PD] Standalone app, ID3 tagging, classification.

sven ml.sven at subscience.de
Thu May 18 02:26:45 CEST 2006

>The objectives were:
>
>>I need to build a sound file batch processing application which
>>will do the following:
>>
>>         a) Perform BPM detection and classification (from verySlow or
>>Adagio, to veryFast or Prestissimo, in 3 points)
>>         b) Amplitude classification (from verySoft to veryLoud in 3 points)
>>         c) Tag soundfiles with ID3 tags that contain the information
>>gleaned above (maybe in the ID3 comment tag)

hi david,
pd is not the right thing for what you want to do because it's
very limited when it comes to complex offline data processing
and it's GUI, hmmm, well.... you said you don't want to mess with
TCL? then forget pd.
if you want a "real" application you'll have to write one.
for the tempo stuff there's a matlab implementation of scheirer's
technique here:
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~elec301/Projects01/beat_sync/beatalgo.html
i haven't tried the code myself yet but it looks very promising.
matlab code can be easily ported to python+numpy or ruby+narray.
the amplitude stuff and tagging are the easy part once you've managed
the tempo detection.
use wxWidgets as a fast and reliable GUI with native look-and-feel.

sven.