[Pd] Latency with 0.39-2

_ at whats-your.name _ at whats-your.name
Sat May 20 07:30:02 CEST 2006

On Sat May 20, 2006 at 12:53:34AM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> Hmm.  I'm on WinXP.  I don't quite understand how to change this
> portaudio business...

you mean change from pa v19 to v18? unless the pa18 support has been ripped out already, you can use it by removing -DPA19 from the makefile..

> I have always used ASIO for lower
> latency, but it does indeed seem like not using it improves Pd 0.39-2
> somewhat.

that's odd. as MME/DS has an unavoidable latency due to system software-mixing. i'd be sure youre actually using ASIO before you claim this. PA has a way of gracefully falling back onto DS.. to be sure, start->run->services.msc and disable and stop "Windows Audio" and try again. and be sure to check the buffer settings. any hardware made in the last 5 years will work with 256 samples (and perhaps 128) with ASIO..