[PD] [comport] crashes on Windows

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 22 19:23:29 CEST 2006

I have incorporated the "OVERLAPPED" asynchronous mode code for
Windows from Piotr Majdak in the [comport], and now it crashes pretty
regularly.  I just committed the comport-stress-test.pd, which makes
Pd crash within a couple minutes.  It seems to be caused by
transferring a lot of data from Pd to the serial port.  FYI: I am
using an Arduino to test.

I did a little test to see whether its the new code, or whether there
were crashes before.  So I compiled revision 1.10, which uses the
standard synchronous mode for data transfer.  This version seems to
last a bit longer, but it crashes in a much uglier way: it zombies Pd
and doesn't let go of the serial port.  So its an improvement, but
still, it crashes a lot.

Any of you Windows hackers want to take a stab?  I am going to test
things on Mac OS X now.

____

            "The arc of history bends towards justice."
                                            - Dr. Martin Luther King,
Jr.