[PD] [comport] crashes on Windows

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 22 20:00:47 CEST 2006

First off, I think I have an idea of what's causing the crashes.  I
think its because [comport] isn't handling when the serial port
buffer is full.  That's my guess.  [comport] should probably start
dropping data, with a warning message,  in this condition instead of
just going down the suicide path...

On May 22, 2006, at 7:35 PM, Christian Klippel wrote:

> hi,
>
> while at the issue of reading stuff from devices in windows ...
>
> there are also weird problems with libusb on windows. seems that
> there are
> some quirks in windows that prevent the hi-speed use of such ports
> (usb is
> serial as well....)
>
> im wondering if there are any special calls in the windows api that
> need to be
> called first, to set certain parameters first, like for buffering?

Have you seen the OVERLAPPED/asynchronous API for Windows?  Check out
the code in [comport], Piotr Majdak implemented this for Windows, and
it seems to be a better way to write to the com port.  I think that
it makes Windows do some buffering (but maybe not enough ;).

.hc