[PD] Why does PixelTANGO crash on Pd-extended 0.38 on Windows XP?

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed May 24 20:36:20 CEST 2006

I'm running GEM on Windows. In my latest patch, I'm loading up 12 quicktimes
all at once to different GEM heads, and turning all but the one I want off,
and sending all 12 into the same [pd some_pix_fx] -> [pix_texture] ->
[rectangle]. This may take more memory, but to tell the truth, the
performance has been quite stable. But, I use loadbangs to load all of these
up at startup, before I create the gemwin.

However, the problem is that I prefer to do quick edits on video clips with
Virtual Dub, and that's obviously not possible. I don't know of any free or
open source video editor for quicktime, that is really fast (and linear). I
will end up using Adobe Premier, but it's totally overkill and not so
efficient for the simple edits I want to do. When time is short, quick
interfaces become incredibly important.

Anyway, my advise is, if using GEM on winsows avoid AVI like the plague...
They ALL crash it, regardless of codec, in my experience. Or, follow the
advice of "c" and learn vvvv, that's what I'm going to use to play glitched
up AVI's in my upcoming show. Though having to learn two quite different
modular programs, when you're just starting to get comfortable with one, is
somewhat of a pain!

~David