[PD] A good place to start?

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu May 25 01:26:14 CEST 2006

lol here's where we find out Mat's character.  Does he disappear
forever or start asking more questions?  jk
I second these:

> http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/
> http://www.obiwannabe.co.uk/padawan12/onlinetutorials/html/tutorials_main.html
> http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/

The rest I'm not too familiar with.  This last one, Miller's book, is
booyah, and Andy's tutorials are phenomenal too, besides being easy to
read and divided into bite-sized morsels.  They're from a sound-design
point of view, but that means a lot of synthesis talkage.
I've also learned a lot from the PD Help files, not sure if that was
one of the links.  And 'The Csound Book', though a lot of that is
specific to Csound opcodes, which in themselves seem kind of opaque to
me.  It still has some good theory.

Something I've found myself doing is actually going back to the most
basic stuff, the first link here, and reading over it again with
understanding I've gained from using Pd.  My tendency was to skim over
it seeking practical info, but all of it will be important to know at
some point.
I think people learning languages crave new words more than grammar,
so maybe Andy's hands-on tutorials will be more stimulating to begin
with.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."