[Pd] Batch Recorder

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu May 25 13:30:06 CEST 2006

Good point.  This is for several tapes of Romanian folk music my
Romanian g/f gave me before going to Romania for a month.  The only
tape deck I have is a big 4-track, and I don't want to keep it sitting
on my desk all summer.  It's pretty clear when it is and isn't
playing.

On 5/25/06, João Miguel Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:
> What kind of music are you going to "transcript"? Are you sure it would
> really universally work? I remember once having bought a commercial Cd
> with Debussy preludes (live concert recording), and one of them was
> divided into 3 Tracks (!), + the 2'' pause (it wasn't meant that way for
> sure).
>
> If you want to use it with several types of music, it would be more
> effective to make a patch that records everything and lets you very easily
> divide the big file into many others (automatic fades, global/individual
> normalisation, etc). But if you're transfering Dixieland music, it's quite
> clear when it's playing or not. If you're working with Nono/Sciarrino,
> then the difference between soft and loud will be so big that one piece
> might be divided into several (like the Debussy example), or the
> "absolute" silence won't be detected.
>

> Am 25.05.2006, 11:18 Uhr, schrieb Chuckk Hubbard
> <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com>:
>
> > For transfering cassette tape to audio files.  Would also work for
> > vinyl, I guess.
> > The only reason I made this was so I could press play on the tape deck
> > and leave, and it will automatically start new files between tracks
> > and stop at the end.
> > Because of the select object's dual purpose, as of now this will make
> > an extra empty file at the end.  I'm not sure why, but it also started
> > a file and never stopped it when I used it, I ended up with a 3.4 GB
> > wav file... so that's kind of questionable.
> > It also might make a few empty files at the beginning, depending how
> > much silence is at the beginning of the tape.  The values will
> > probably need tweaked depending on the tape.
> >
> > The alternative I thought of was to have it automatically switch
> > between [writesf~]s every 5 minutes, overlapping by like 5 seconds so
> > I could line up the samples later and divide it into tracks manually.
> > That way there'd be no chance of missing the very beginning of a tune
> > if it starts while Pd is preparing the next file.  Come to think of it
> > a simple 5-minute timer would be much simpler than this. :-/
> >
> > At any rate, I can't imagine trying to do this with a commercial
> > recording program.

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt