[PD] Re: [PD-announce] PWM in Pd

Martin Peach martinrp at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu May 25 19:24:16 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> I should say, I forgot that PWM was used in synthesis some, so I was
> thinking about electronics and control when I was talking about PWM.
> That's why my PWM objects are tailored towards, but should work fine  in
> the audio context too, unless you need the wandering DC offset.

For controlling things with PWM I think you'll need to modify your sound
card if you want DC output. AFAIK they all have capacitors on the ouput
to block DC. I find it easier to program a PIC to do the PWM and talk to
it from PD using MIDI continuous controller messages for 14-bit
resolution, or noteon with velocity meaning pulsewidth for 7-bits.

Martin