[PD] Re: [PD-announce] PWM in Pd

Martin Peach martinrp at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu May 25 23:18:04 CEST 2006

padawan12 wrote:
> Very true. The DC blockers in most s/c are going to be limiting.
> But there's no reason to assume people using Pd for more serious
> experimental applications won't use correct DAC hardware. I think
> its very exciting to see the emergence of Pd as an application
> for wider research in engineering, rapid prototyping etc and I
> applaud HC for thoroughness and attention to detail in the code.
> The beauty of sw over hw is extensibility, on a 64 bit system
> you could use this to position a radio telescope or whatever, far
> beyond the grain you'd ever get with 7bit microcontrollers.

The grain depends on the clock speed, not the bus width.
MIDI is 7-bit, the micro is 8-bit, but nothing stops you from
implementing a 64-bit register on a microcontroller, but you'd need 10
MIDI messages to fill it. As you say, it's all in the software. A 64-bit
system just calculates faster, it doesn't do anything an 8-bit system
can't, given enough time. A lot of PICs have a 10-bit PWM module
built-in but it's only one channel.
In software it's not too hard to make an 8-channel 16-bit PWM machine
using an 8-bit microcontroller such as a PIC16F628 for less than the
cost of a soundcard. The software method will have more jitter though
unless you're careful to write code that executes in equal time for
every possibility.

Martin