[PD] Re: [PD-announce] PWM in Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri May 26 22:28:33 CEST 2006

On May 26, 2006, at 5:33 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I just realized the answer to my question about getting positive-
>> only  voltages from the sound card.  The DC filters will probably
>> remove  the DC offset, therefore, the output voltage on a PWM
>> signal will  also be centered again on 0, and therefore swing from
>> negative to  positive.  I do remember getting some very low
>> frequencies out of a  computer when testing speakers.  But I
>> haven't actually tested this  [pwm~] object for electronics.  But
>> it would be nice to have a very  well implemented [pwm~], so its
>> great that this discussion happened.
>> I did use the [pwm] object with a MIDI-controlled relay box,
>> worked  quite well at 30-60Hz on a biggish DC motor.
>
> But that sounds like you're sending MIDI messages at a rate
> determined by the [pwm], so bandwidth is limited by MIDI  to ~1kHz.
> Better to program your relay box to do pwm with the pulse width
> controlled by MIDI, instead of using MIDI just to turn the motor on
> and off.

Sometimes you make do with what you have in the amount of time you
have. I make no claims that this was a great solution.  But it does
work.

____

"Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism."
                                     - retired U.S. Army general,
William Odom