[PD] "OuterSpace" - an ambient sound generator for PD

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue May 30 07:14:02 CEST 2006

I've really been looking forward to this since you told
me about it Alberto. You've clearly put a lot of work into
it. The sounds on the demo are amazing, it makes some very
classy deep space/spooky alien noises. And it's most
impressive that you've taken the trouble to make multiple
versions with a proper readme.txt, pdf docos and everything.

Unfortunately I couldn't run it. After throwing a  bucket
of ice water on the sizzling remains of my CPU and opening
the window to let a little smoke out it occured to me that
some kind of dynamic allocation or grouping the bp~ units
into subpatches with a [switch~] would really help those
of us with lower spec machines.

Another thought is that the freeverb~ component is unneccesary.
Freeverb is a quite expensive convolution based unit afaik, and
since the textures are already so very dense you could probably
get just as good results with a few delays.

I'm not sure how to handle dynamic allocation best. I think I
would use the cpu load value as a reference and then switch on
each bandpass subpatch in the order 0, 7, 15..... and then
3, 10, 18 ... while cpu < 90% , in that way you cover the whole
spectrum filling out the gaps in between on each pass.

Those are my only grumbles, apart from that its a fantastic
patch for filmic ambience.

Andy