[PD] Hyper-Threading on PD

Renato Fabbri renatoftato at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 19:09:49 CEST 2006

--- Tim Blechmann <TimBlechmann at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 00:55 +0200, Hans-Christoph
> Steiner wrote:
> >
> > But Pd is actually two processes, the gui and the
> core, so you
> > should
> > be able to run each on separate CPUs.  On Windows,
> the gui will show
> > up as "wish.exe" and the core as "pd.exe".
>
> hyperthreading limits the cpu utilization by
> simulating two processors
> with 50% of the speed of the whole cpu.
> it is very unlikely that the gui process takes as
> much cpu as the pd
> process. so in a not very unlikely case, one virtual
> processor, running
> the main pd process, will have a utilization of
> 100%, while the other
> virtual processor is more or less sleeping ...
>
> hyperthreading does make sense for
> multithreaded/multiprocess
> applications, where there are two sets of
> threads/processes, which take
> more or less the same amount of cpu speed, which is
> definitely not the
> case with pd.
>
> the first thing i was doing, when using pd on a
> hyperthreading p4 for an
> installation, was to switch off hyperthreading.
>
> hth ... tim
>
> --
> TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
> http://www.mokabar.tk
>
> The composer makes plans, music laughs.
>   Morton Feldman

Ok, makes sense to me.

But, when using PD with the smp kernel and watching a
system monitor, all I see is both processors
alternating on the tasks making some quasi-quadratic
envelopes from zero up, with overlapping.

Where is the system splitting the tasks here??

So, Tim, your advice is to use a non smp kernel and
desable hyper-threading at bios setup?