[PD] Hyper-Threading on PD

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sat Jun 3 03:37:21 CEST 2006

On 6/2/06, Arie van Schutterhoef <arsche at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> >about having the dsp running on seperate cpu's simultanously
> >http://music.york.ac.uk/rimm/tech.htm

It would be possible for Pd to use the same Unix shm (and the Win32
equivalent) but some sort of sync system would probably be needed to keep
the buffers moving along and not outputting duplicate or partial DSP
frames.  I put a very non-sync shm object in GEM which works fine for video
as that is more forgiving of minor problems compared to audio.

Jack is another possiblity to spread DSP over multiple processes.  It might
be possible for Pd to open several processes and manage them using one
patcher although I have no idea about that feasibility.