[PD] Hyper-Threading on PD

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sat Jun 3 14:56:56 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 14:32 +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2006, at 3:37 AM, chris clepper wrote:
>
> > On 6/2/06, Arie van Schutterhoef <arsche at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >         >about having the dsp running on seperate cpu's
> >         simultanously
> >         >http://music.york.ac.uk/rimm/tech.htm
> >
> > It would be possible for Pd to use the same Unix shm (and the Win32
> > equivalent) but some sort of sync system would probably be needed to
> > keep the buffers moving along and not outputting duplicate or
> > partial DSP frames.  I put a very non-sync shm object in GEM which
> > works fine for video as that is more forgiving of minor problems
> > compared to audio.
> >
> > Jack is another possiblity to spread DSP over multiple processes.
> > It might be possible for Pd to open several processes and manage
> > them using one patcher although I have no idea about that
> > feasibility.
>

> Its quite easy to spread the calculation of multiple voices across
> CPUs.  My brother and I did this for this sound installation:
>

> http://at.or.at/novnain/
>

> We used 6 computers each running the same patch all controlled by a
> master patch.  If you used something like OSC timetagging, which AFAIK
> doesn't exist in any OSC implementations, then you could actually have
> pretty tight sync, and perhaps decent latency, depending on your
> network setup.

when you used 6 computers, i guess, each computer had his own audio
interface ... there are differences between 6 computers and one computer
with 6 cpus ...
one car with 6 engines is something different than 6 cars :)

tim

--
TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Desperation is the raw material of drastic change. Only those who can
leave behind everything they have ever believed in can hope to escape.
  William S. Burroughs