[PD] Hyper-Threading on PD

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jun 3 21:11:51 CEST 2006

On Jun 3, 2006, at 5:18 PM, Thomas Grill wrote:

>>> We used 6 computers each running the same patch all controlled by a
>>> master patch.  If you used something like OSC timetagging, which
>>> AFAIK
>>> doesn't exist in any OSC implementations, then you could actually
>>> have
>>> pretty tight sync, and perhaps decent latency, depending on your
>>> network setup.
>>>

>> when you used 6 computers, i guess, each computer had his own audio
>> interface ... there are differences between 6 computers and one
>> computer
>> with 6 cpus ...
>> one car with 6 engines is something different than 6 cars :)
>>

> Remembering my truck driving lessons, i know that it's possible to
> have two drivers in a car.
> Consequently it is also possible to have two instances of PD on the
> same machine outputting to the same audio interface (or different
> channels of it), most probably using CPU time on one of the dual
> cores each. I wouldn't say that this is a perfect, easy-to-sync
> solution, though....

Sounds like the next step is to write software for clustering Pd!
That would be a nice way to get a lot of audio processing on many
channels: one computer per channel.  Sounds like a project for IEM...

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies."
                                                     - Amy Smith