[PD] shortcuts for patching

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jun 3 21:16:31 CEST 2006

Yeah, I don't mean porting that.  I think a lot of those hacks are
not so useful in regards to good patching style.  More I wanted to
start the discussion about what kind of tools in the GUI could make
patching go much quicker, without making things harder to use.

I think this stuff really comes into play when building GUIs.  I
think have a snap-to-grid function would go a long way to speed up
this process. Another idea is to have magnetic edges on GUI objects,
so that they want to line up.  A great example is OmniGraffle, which
is kind of a patcher interface, since it does diagramming, UML, etc.
Its really quick and easy to put together nicely laid out diagrams
without a lot of hassle.

.hc

On Jun 3, 2006, at 6:19 PM, vade wrote:

> The only issue with the Max ToolBox is that it has this funny
> tendancy to cause Max to act rather odd. Its not a built in
> function in Max, but rather a set of javascript addons. So make
> sure its a part of PD proper, or an extension that doesnt suck ass.
> Ive had to remove my max toolbox as it just caused issues. Ive
> repeatedly asked C74 for quick key command like PD has. oh well...  :)
>

> v a d e //
>
> www.vade.info
> abstrakt.vade.info
>

> On Jun 3, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> I just saw this video, which might have been posted here before,
>> it shows a bunch of layout shortcuts for Max/MSP.  I think that
>> there is a lot that could be done to make patching much quicker
>> and easier.

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore