[PD] shortcuts for patching

Urs Liska pd at ursliska.de
Sat Jun 3 22:46:35 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner schrieb:

> I just saw this video, which might have been posted here before, it
> shows a bunch of layout shortcuts for Max/MSP.  I think that there is a
> lot that could be done to make patching much quicker and easier.
>
> http://www.studioimaginaire.com/nat/maxtoolbox/box2.mov
>
> I had one thought, which is making a snap-to-grid function when
> editing.  Maybe graphical editors have this, I think it would work well
> for Pd.  Ideally, it would be resizable and togglable via a preference,
> or even better, via Pd messages.
>
> One thing that I think would help a lot is making it so you could click
> and release an outlet, then click an inlet to make the connection,
> instead of having to drag.  Any other ideas?
>
> .hc

Another thing that would increase (at least my) productivity would be
that objects with variable number of outlets (or inlets) realize at
which point parameters are inserted or deleted.

To make this understandable:
If I change
[route 1 2 3 4] to
[route 1 2 5 3 4]
I have to manually change all connections which is a tedious and
error-prone process.
If in the above example the connections for the '3' and '4' outlet moved
to the right automatically, it would make my life a lot easier.

Most often I run into this inconvenience when adding an option to an
[OSCroute] and don't want to append it at the end.

Best
Urs